This caramelized onion cashew cheese dip is perfect to serve with bread, crackers, and even fresh vegetables. It’s an extremely versatile sauce so don’t worry about having leftovers. You’ll find many ways to serve this flavorful caramelized onion cashew cheese dip!
Caramelized Onion Cashew Cheese Dip [Vegan]
For the Caramelized Onions:
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1-2 tablespoons Fresh Thyme
For the Cashew Cheese Dip:
- 1 cup Cashews, boiled or soaked overnight
- 2 cups vegan Chicken Broth, can sub veg broth
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Flour, also called Tapioca Starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Peppermint
- In a large pan heated to medium, add 1 tablespoon Olive Oil.
- Thinly slice the sweet onion.
- When the pan is hot, add the onion and pinch of salt.
- Stirring occasionally. Cook for about 30-40 minutes.
- If onions begin to brown too quickly, turn down the heat. If onions start to dry out, add a splash of water.
- In the meantime, boil the cashews for 20 minutes to soften. If your cashews have been soaked overnight, skip this step.
- Add the cashews, no chicken broth, fresh lemon juice, nutritional yeast, tapioca flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper to a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Touch the mixture and rub it between two fingers. If the cheese dip has any texture, keep blending.
- When the onions are about done caramelizing, add in the sugar and another pinch of salt.
- When the onions are deep brown in color and caramelized to your preference, add in the fresh thyme. Mix to incorporate and then add the smooth cashew sauce.
- Stir until the sauce has thickened. If it gets too thick, add a splash of water.
- Serve with bread, crackers, or veggies! Enjoy.
- All Vegan Cheese
- Cashew Cheese
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile