Have you heard of the whole food, plant-based diet? If the term sounds familiar, a whole food, plant-based diet refers to a diet that eschews foods that are overly processed. In other words, if you’re following a primarily whole food, plant-based diet, then you’re relying on delicious and seasonal fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, ancient grains, and legumes for your nutrients, while overly processed items, like some bread and pasta, are out.
While we do have an existing guide on 15 Whole Foods-Based Lunches and Dinners That Won’t Break the Bank, we figured it was high time for a new roundup of different delicious whole food, and plant-based recipe ideas that are perfect for fall! We scoured the depths of our Food Monster App and came up with these 15 suggestions!
1. Oil-Free Mac and Cheese
Source: Oil-Free Mac and Cheese
Oil-Free Mac and Cheese by Molly Patrick may be the epitome of comfort food, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be healthy at the same time! This recipe makes the homey favorite healthier by using gluten-free pasta and a cheesy sauce made from veggies and cashews. It’s delicious, wholesome, and oil-free!
2. Oil-Free Apple, Date, and Ginger Bars
Oil-Free Apple, Date, and Ginger Bars by Sara Oliveira are super fast, with basic ingredients, delicious, and super healthy. These are great snacks for lunch for kids or adults! These do not even need to be baked, put in the chopper, and ready. Sweetened only with dates and with the wonderful taste of dehydrated apple and cinnamon, these bars are a delicious snack, without refined sugar, vegan, and gluten-free.
Get the FALL Cookbook!
3. Oil-Free Refried Beans
Source: Oil-Free Refried Beans
Oil-Free Refried Beans are easy! You only need five ingredients for this recipe by Molly Patrick and you probably have all of them in your pantry already. Plus, this recipe does not call for any oil so your refried beans will be healthy as well as delicious.
4. Walnut Lentil Burgers With Cauliflower Puree and Red Onion Relish
Source: Walnut Lentil Burgers
These Walnut Lentil Burgers by Ida Hemmingsson-Holl are delicious and hearty, real comfort food-style. The red onion relish is tangy, sweet, herby, and unbelievably good. The cauliflower broccoli purée is creamy and delicious. Serve these burgers bun-less with the purée and relish on the side and let the flavors do the talkin’.
5. How to Make Oil-Free Vegan Vegetable Broth
Source: Vegan Vegetable Broth
Making oil-free Vegan Vegetable Broth by Veronica Grace is something most people don’t make, but it is pretty easy to do (aside from chopping the veggies) and it’s worth it because it’s fresh, tastes better, and is cheaper than buying it if you cook!
6. Chickpea Mushroom Pita Burgers
Source: Chickpea Mushroom Pita Burgers
If you need a burger for your barbecue that’s going to be a crowd-pleaser, then try these Chickpea Mushroom Pita Burgers by Anarki “AJ” Tjon Affo. Made from chickpeas, mushrooms, and basmati rice, they’re flavorful, warm, and smoky. Crisp on the outside, but soft on the inside, these burgers are delicious even when served on a salad or flourless bread.
7. Oil-Free White Bean Chili
Source: Oil-Free White Bean Chili
This Oil-Free White Bean Chili by Larice Feuerstein is packed with spice and flavor, but for the heat-averse, don’t worry: it packs just the right amount of heat. The key to the coziness of this vegan white chili is the luscious addition of homemade cashew cream. It also includes sweet corn, as it just adds another layer of flavor and extra heartiness. Feel free to add whatever veggies suit your fancy. If you like your mouth on fire when you eat your chili, bump up the cayenne pepper or add some chopped jalapeño.
8. Kohlrabi Spaghetti Alla Foriana
Source: Kohlrabi Spaghetti Alla Foriana
You can make this Kohlrabi Spaghetti Alla Foriana by Alissandra Maffucci with all kinds of budget-friendly spiralized veggies – zucchini, sweet potato, beet, carrot – any! The intense flavor from the walnuts, pine nuts, and garlic is ridiculously delicious.
9. Oil-Free Pesto Cauliflower and Potatoes
Everyone knows that pesto is great on pasta or pizza, but most people probably haven’t tried it on cauliflower and potatoes. That is quite a shame though because these Oil-Free Pesto Cauliflower and Potatoes by Haley Gallerani are so good!
10. Roasted Spiced Carrots
Source: Roasted Spiced Carrots
Who said carrots were boring?! These Roasted Spiced Carrots by Sami Berger will delight your palate in several ways! They’re tender, bursting with spices, and topped with a deliciously creamy tahini sauce. Served on a bed of alfalfa sprouts and wild rice and topped with crunchy pumpkin seeds and pine nuts, this dish will wow your guests!
11. Simple, Healthy Breakfast Bowl
Source: Simple, Healthy Breakfast Bowl
Are you time-poor in the morning but still don’t want to compromise on your healthy eating habits? Well, this one is for you! This Simple, Healthy Breakfast Bowl by Pauline Hanuise is vibrant and yummy.
12. Vegan Black Bean Wraps
Source: Vegan Black Bean Wrap
13. Sweet Potato and Kale Patties
Source: Sweet Potato and Kale Patties
This recipe by Vaishali Honawar uses sweet potatoes instead of potatoes because the former is less starchy and far more nutritious. The hot and sour chickpea sauce is just perfect with the sweet potatoes and the slightly bitter kale. Sweet Potato and Kale Patties are amazing.
14. Raw Caramel Brownie Slice
Source: Raw Caramel Brownie Slices
15. Sesame Orange Sweet Potato
Source: Sesame Orange Sweet Potato
So simple, but so delicious. This Sesame Orange Sweet Potato bowl by Melanie Sorrentino is possibly the best easy meal idea you’ve stumbled upon. Tender, roasted sweet potato is coated with a sticky-sweet orange sauce and paired with steamed broccoli. If you’re looking for a little more substance in your meal, you can easily pair it with grains, greens, or any other vegetable you’re craving.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.