I had wanted to make vegan caramel slices for a while, and after deciding the best caramel substitute to use would be date caramel, I figured to go one step further and make the whole thing raw.
Raw Caramel Brownie Slice [Vegan,Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup dried dates
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup raw cacoa powder
- ¼ cup dried figs
- 2 cups dried dates, soaked in water for 1-2 hours
- 5 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup/agave nectar or a raw sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Start by preparing the base. Do this by pulsing all the base inredients in a food processor until they form together.
- Turn out into a 8×8 inch deep dish tray and press down with your hands until the mixture in evenly distributed to form the base.
- Next take the dates that you have soaked, drain well and blend together with the water, coconut oil and salt until silky smooth. Pour this over the base and smooth the top out until flat. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes before adding the topping.
- Blend up the topping ingredients. Blend the cacao powder, coconut oil and sweetener of choice until smooth. Remove the tray containing the base and caramel from the freezer and delicately spread the chocolate topping over the caramel. Use a spatula to make the top as smooth and level as possible.
- Store in the freezer, well covered for 3 hours before slicing and serving, preferably overnight.