Mac and cheese may be the epitome of comfort food, but that doesn't mean it can't be healthy at the same time! This recipe makes the homey favorite healthier by using gluten-free pasta and a cheesy sauce made from veggies and cashews. It's delicious, wholesome, and oil-free!
Oil-Free Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 Russet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon peeled and diced turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water plus another 1/2 cup, divided
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Gluten-free pasta of your choice
- Place the potato, carrot, onion, turmeric, and garlic in a pan, cover with 2 cups of water, and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- After 20 minutes, add the vegetables (and the remaining liquid in the pan) to your blender.
- Drain the cashews and add them to the blender along with the nutritional yeast, sea salt, and the additional 1/2 cup of water.
- Blend until the sauce is creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Cook however much pasta you want according to the directions on the box and then strain and rinse with cold water to stop it from cooking. Return to the pan.
- Turn heat to very low, and pour as much cheese sauce over the pasta as you like. Add black pepper and salt to taste. Serve.