This recipe for kale patties uses sweet potatoes instead of potatoes because the former is less starchy and far more nutritious. Top them with the hot and sour chickpea sauce for added flavor. It is the perfect accompaniment to sweetness of the potatoes and bitterness of the kale. These kale patties are terrifically healthy, as they have tons of protein, fiber, and Vitamins A and C! Meal prep them early on in the week for an easy, yet filling meal! You can serve them on a bun, salads, or with some grilled veggies!
Sweet Potato and Kale Patties [Vegan]
- 2 large sweet potatoes, roasted and mashed
- 2 cups kale
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Chop the kale and coriander in a food processor along with some salt. Let it stand about 15 minutes, then squeeze out any excess water.
- Mix the kale and coriander with the mashed sweet potatoes, ginger, garam masala, salt as needed, and cayenne. Add the chickpea flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the sweet potato mixture is firm enough to form patties. It will still be pretty soft, but it’s ready when a ball formed by rolling the mixture between your palms remains firm.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick or cast-iron skillet.
- To form the patties, divide the mixture into 12 portions. Wet the palms of your hands with some water and shape each portion into a flat, round patty about 2 inches across.
- Drop each patty, right after you shape it, into the skillet. Cook each side until golden-brown, on medium heat. Do not crowd the pan. You might have to do this in batches.
- Remove the patties to a plate.