Although this dish sounds fancy, it is ready surprisingly fast. I used seitan for this recipe, but I’ve also used Beyond Meat strips or just added more vegetables and skipped the vegan protein. The choice is yours as this recipe does not rely on protein to make it fantastic. The quick gremolata, a mixture of parsley, garlic and lemon zest, adds a welcome piquant flavor and cuts through the richness of the stew.
Beef-Style Stew [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Beef-Style Stew [Vegan]
- ¼ cup finely minced parsley leaves
- 12 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 8 seitan cutlets (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (use only if your spice is fresh)
- 2 pinches ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules mixed with 1/4 cup hot water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 pound carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/2 cup peas
How to Prepare Beef-Style Stew [Vegan]
- Make the gremolata by stirring together the parsley, 4 minced garlic cloves and lemon zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Toss the seitan with 1 tablespoon oil, coating each side with the oil. Combine the thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, paprika, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, allspice and cloves in a small bowl. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the oiled seitan, coating each cutlet well. Heat a large grill pan over medium heat, Cook the seitan cutlets until grill marks appear, about four minutes per side. Cool the seitan slightly and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and the sesame oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook until the onion is golden brown, about five minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining 8 minced garlic cloves and celery and cook for one minute. Stir in the flour and cook for three minutes. Stir in the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan and cook until the wine evaporates, about two minutes.
- Stir in the coffee mixture, broth, bay leaves, potatoes, carrots and tamari. Add the grilled seitan. Bring the stew to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the stew until the vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and cook to heat them through, about one minute. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Serve the stew sprinkled with the gremolata.
Use Beyond Meat strips or vegan sausage instead of the seitan or omit the seitan and add another pound of vegetables.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Seitan (Plant Protein)
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2028 | Total Carbs: 198 g | Total Fat: 42 g | Total Protein: 177 g | Total Sodium: 9870 g | Total Sugar: 31 g Per Serving: Calories: 507 | Carbs: 50 g | Fat: 11 g | Protein: 44 g | Sodium: 2468 mg | Sugar: 8 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.