Having a well-stocked spice cabinet is a must for any home cook, especially those who cook with a lot of vegetables. Another easy way to enhance and accentuate the natural flavor of vegetables is using a broth. This mushroom vegetable broth has a smoky, woodsy, and rich flavor without all the salt store-bought broths contain.
Mushroom Vegetable Broth [Vegan]
- 6 medium size Shiitake mushrooms, dried
- 6 ribs celery
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and ends removed,
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 10 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch parsley
- 9 cups water
- Rehydrate dried Shiitake mushrooms in hot water, approximately 30 minutes. After the Shiitake mushrooms are soft, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Cut celery, leak, and carrots into 1-inch long chunks.
- Place all ingredients in pressure cooker. Follow the instructions of the pressure cooker and cook 10 minutes with very low heat. Let pressure drop off on its own.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the vegetables, herbs, and spices. Store in freezer for up to 3 months.