After you master this recipe, you will never have to buy refried beans in a can ever again. . . and the best part is – it's a super simple recipe. You only need five ingredients for this recipe and you probably have all of them in your pantry already. Plus, this recipe does not call for any oil so your refried beans will be healthy as well as delicious.
Oil-Free Refried Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup dried pinto beans, soaked in water overnight
- 5 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pour your soaked beans into a strainer and rinse them thoroughly. Tap the strainer against the sink, allowing as much liquid to drain out of the strainer as possible.
- Add the drained beans, fresh water, garlic powder, and onion powder to a large pot and stir. Bring the beans to a boil, turn down the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid at an angle.
- Simmer for about 70 minutes, until the beans are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir them occasionally so the beans don’t stick to the bottom of the pot. The key here is to simmer them on very low heat for over an hour. This will cook them slowly without the water evaporating too fast.
- When the beans are soft and there is very little liquid left in the pot, add the salt and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to your food processor, along with 1/4 cup of water and process them until they are super smooth.