If you need a burger for your barbecue that's going to be a crowd-pleaser, then try these chickpea mushroom burgers. Made from chickpeas, mushrooms, and basmati rice, they're flavorful, warm, and smoky. Crisp on the outside, but soft on the inside, these burgers are delicious served in a soft pita with spicy vegan mayonnaise, creamy avocado, and any veggies.
Chickpea Mushroom Pita Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chickpea Mushroom Pita Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burgers:
- 6 pita breads
- 1 1/2 cup cooked basmati rice
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons crushed flax seed, plus 4 tablespoons water)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8.8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 1/4 cup chickpea flour
For the Spices:
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, or any other sugar
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice powder
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon gochujang
- A pinch of coconut sugar
How to Prepare Chickpea Mushroom Pita Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- To begin, cook the rice and sauté the onion and garlic over medium-low heat, until the onions become translucent. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt to draw out the moisture. Cook this until most of the moisture has evaporated.
- Drain the chickpeas and add everything apart from the chickpea flour to a food processor, you want to add that at the end. Pulse a few times until everything's well combined and broken down a bit, but not too mushy.
- Add the mixture to a bowl and taste a bit of the mixture to see if you want to adjust it to your own taste. Now add the chickpea flour and mix it all together. Once everything's combined you can put a little bit of oil on your hands and take some of the mixture to form patties.
- Pan fry these patties or bake them in the oven. For pan fried patties you warm up a pan with some oil to a high heat and once the oil gets hot you add the burger patties to the pan. Once the patties are in the pan put the heat to medium/low and cook each side for a couple of minutes. To bake the burgers you need the preheat the oven to 345°F and bake them for about 12 minutes or longer or shorter depending on your oven. To see if they're done, check is they're firm and a bit crisp on the outside.
- With a fork, whisk all sauce ingredients in a bowl until combined.
To Make the Sauce:
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2598 | Total Carbs: 445 g | Total Fat: 40 g | Total Protein: 114 g | Total Sodium: 5754 g | Total Sugar: 45 g Per Serving: Calories: 433 | Carbs: 74 g | Fat: 7 g | Protein: 19 g | Sodium: 959 mg | Sugar: 8 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.