To make a truly authentic falafel sandwich, pita bread is a must! This small round pocket has been a staple in the Middle East for over 4,000 years, and for good reason! It's fluffy, delicious, and versatile. Stuff this Israeli wonder with your falafels, your favorite vegetables, or just lots of hummus!
Israeli Pita Bread [Vegan]
- 8 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Pour the flour into the bowl of a stand mixer, make a well in the center and add the yeast, sugar, and olive oil.
- Begin to knead with a dough hook and incorporate warm water gradually until obtaining a smooth and homogeneous dough.
- Stir in salt and knead for 10 minutes until reaching a soft dough.
- Cover with a cloth and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough on a work surface and divide into 18 pieces. Form a ball with each piece and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll each dough piece using a rolling pin, to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Preheat oven to 460°F and place a baking sheet in the oven. The oven and the baking sheet must be very hot.
- Spray all the loaves with warm water and place them on the hot plate. Bake bread for 5-6 minutes.