Fall just started, which means cooking warmer meals, drinking warmer drinks, and using warming and herby spices. This guide is to help you use and explore the wonderful deep flavors of rosemary, fennel, thyme, and sage to enjoy your fall meals. These herbs are delicious when baked or roasted into breads, root vegetables, and main dishes.
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 20,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy! And don’t forget to check out our Weekly Meal Plan Archives!
This week, we’re bringing delicious, fully vegan, and plant-based ways to enjoy late summer/early fall produce in baked goods!
Rosemary is one of the savory herbs that are perfect for adding to main entrees to add a peppery flavor to your dish. Rosemary works well cooked into dishes or baked into foods like baked bread and quick bread, along with being added into dishes like mushrooms.
- Sheet-Pan Italian Sausage with Peppers, Onions, Tomatoes, and Polenta by America’s Test Kitchen
- Rosemary-Garlic Chickpea Flatbread by Amanda Froelich
- Blood Orange and Rosemary Cornmeal Cookies by Alice Carbone Tench
- Rosemary Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Barbara Zackey
- Baked Mushroom Risotto With Rosemary and Dried Cranberries by Taavi Moore
- Rosemary Stuffed Mushrooms by Natalie Martin MS, RD and Lexie Staten MS, RD
- Rosemary Garlic White Bean Spread by Erin Bruns
Source: Fennel Gratin
Fennel, like rosemary, is a strong herb and it’s a wonderful herb to use when making vegan sausage and to add a savory flavor to foods. Fennel also does well roasted or baked into foods such as Fennel, Fig, and Apple Stuffing by Molly Patrick and carb dishes like Fennel Gratin by Brianna Claxton!
- Fennel, Fig and Apple Stuffing by Molly Patrick
- French Onion, Fennel, and Green Lentil Soup by Stephanie McKinnie
- Carrot and Fennel Salad with Creamy Grapefruit Dressing by Katia Martin
- Fennel Gratin by Brianna Claxton
- Chopped Romaine and Sautéed Fennel Salad by Erin Bruns
- Fennel and Harissa Stuffed Buckwheat Panzerotti by Simona Malerba
- Fennel Bowl With Creamy White Beans and Dry Roasted Vegetables by Annie McGee
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Fennel and Pomegranate Seeds by Marie Reginato
Thyme is another strong herb that gives the dish a savory taste. It cooks well into main entrees, and bread, and works even sprinkled into olive oil to dip with bread.
- Rustic Cassoulet With Veggie Sausage by Plant Tribe
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms by Gretchen Price
- Creamy Scalloped Potatoes With Thyme by Lisa Lotts
- Chocolate Almond and Thyme Tarts by Hannah Sunderani
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Creamy Garlic Thyme Dip by Caroline Ginolfi
- Thyme-Infused Hasselback Potatoes by James Wythe
- Creamy Mushroom Penne with Thyme Crusted Tofu by Jenny Marie
Source: Mushroom Sage Stuffing
Sage is a flat leaf that also carries a flavor punch. Thyme is incredibly versatile and can be used with rosemary or sage as a way to compliment the overall flavor of the dish.
- Sage and Black Tea Latte by Courtney West
- Oil-Free ‘Sausage’ Biscuits and Gravy by The China Study Family Cookbook
- Sage Rosemary and Thyme Stuffing by Logan Dunn & Lexus Osman
- Roasted Acorn Squash, Sage, and Pecan Sauce with Rice Noodles by Teri Macovei
- Portobello Pumpkin Ravioli With Sage and Walnut Pesto by Medha Swaminathan
- Mushroom Sage Stuffing by Taavi Moore
- Squash, Sage, and Wild Mushroom Risotto by Tania Pilcher
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.