This plant-based recipe for the classic biscuits and gravy is full of flavor and makes a hearty breakfast for the whole family.
Oil-Free ‘Sausage’ Biscuits and Gravy [Vegan]
For the Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen cauliflower or 2 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 recipe spicy breakfast patties (recipe below), crumbled
- 1 recipe biscuits (recipe below)
For the Spicy Breakfast Patties:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup millet
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- 2 tablespoons tamari, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Sea salt
For the Biscuits:
- 1 3/4 cups whole-grain spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional)
To Make the Gravy:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread out the cashews on a small baking sheet and toast them in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour on the sheet and toast until the cashews and flour are lightly browned, another 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, put the cauliflower in a medium saucepan and add water almost to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook the cauliflower until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cauliflower to a blender and puree with just enough of the cooking water to make a smooth, creamy mixture.
- Using a bench scraper or flat-sided spatula, scrape the toasted cashews and flour into the blender with the cauliflower. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste, and continue to purée until smooth and creamy. Add more of the cooking water from the cauliflower as needed to achieve a gravy-like consistency.
- Pour the cauliflower mixture into a large saucepan and add the crumbled breakfast patties.
- Cook over medium heat until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, split the biscuits in half and place one or two on each plate. Spoon the gravy over the biscuits.
To Make the Spicy Breakfast Patties:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the water and millet in a 2-quart saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and cook the millet until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the millet cooks, sauté the onion in a small skillet over medium-high heat until it turns translucent and starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Add water 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the onion from sticking to the pan.
- Add the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, tamari, sage, fennel, and red pepper flakes, and sauté for another minute to toast the seasonings. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the nutritional yeast and cooked millet, season with sea salt to taste, and mix well.
- Using a 1/4-cup measure or small ice cream scoop, shape the millet mixture into patties and place them on a nonstick baking sheet or a regular baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn over the patties, and continue to bake until the patties are firm to the touch and lightly browned, another 10 minutes or so. Serve warm.
To Make the Biscuits:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together the spelt flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a medium-size bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the applesauce, plant milk, and maple syrup (if using).
- Gently fold the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture. Do not overmix.
- To form the biscuits, use a medium ice cream scoop or a 1/3-cup measure to fill eight or nine cups of a nonstick muffin tin two-thirds full.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and bake until the biscuits are browned and firm to the touch, 12 to 13 minutes.
NOTE FOR THE COOK (Biscuits: Oil-free baked goods go from done to overdone very quickly. Watch the timer and check them in the last few minutes of baking. If they feel firm on top, they are done. https://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Family-Cookbook-Plant-Based/dp/1944648119/?tag=onegrepla-20