This classic French dish usually calls for an abundance of different types of meat, of course this version is totally plant based. It's a warm and comforting meal, full of seasonal vegetables and delicious smoked sausage. Perfect for big gatherings!
Rustic Cassoulet With Veggie Sausage [Vegan]
- 1, 1/2-ounce package of dried Porcini mushrooms, soaked in 2 cups of hot water olive oil
- 4 cups 1/2-inch cubed, peeled potatoes
- 3 cups 1/2-inch cubed butternut squash
- 6 celery sticks, cut diagonally into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large carrot sticks, cut diagonally into bite-sized pieces
- 1 yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 18-ounce cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 18-ounce cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 4 links Vegan sausage
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large deep fry pan heat a few swigs of olive oil and heat for a minute or two on high then lower to medium-high and add the potatoes and butternut squash. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes and transfer into a large mixing bowl.
- Add bit more olive oil to the fry pan if needed and toss in the carrots, celery, and onions and cook for 5 minutes. When they're done add them to the potato mixture.
- Lower the heat to med-low and toss in the stewed tomatoes, cannellini beans, porcini mushrooms, and the 2 cups of liquid. Simmer for 10 minutes and then add in 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs. Simmer for 5 more minutes. The sauce should reduce and thicken a bit. Transfer into vegetable mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Diagonally slice the sausages into bite size pieces and and fry for a few minutes to brown both sides.
- Pour the casserole filling into a lightly oiled large casserole dish. Fold in half the cooked sausage.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, 1 cup of breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon of thyme and parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Evenly spread the crumb mixture on top of the casserole filling. Place the remaining sausage pieces on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until brown and crispy. Serve and enjoy!