These vegan scalloped potatoes are simple, but they deliver. The combination of thinly sliced potatoes and onions, non-dairy béchamel is so comforting and homey. It's seasoned with mustard, salt, and thyme for a simple, yet delicious flavor. The result is a warm, flavorful, and tender dish that is the perfect side for any main dish. You will absolutely love these vegan scalloped potatoes!
Creamy Scalloped Potatoes With Thyme [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Creamy Scalloped Potatoes With Thyme [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegan butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 5 cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium onion, diced
How to Prepare Creamy Scalloped Potatoes With Thyme [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and add vegan butter. Using a whisk, swirl the butter around in the pan until it's almost melted. Add the flour and stir briskly to incorporate the flour and butter. Sprinkle in the mustard and salt and continue to cook for one minute over medium heat. Whisk in the non-dairy milk and continue to stir, until the liquid comes to a rolling boil. Constantly stir and scrape the bottom of the pan while the sauce continues to cook and thicken, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with vegetable spray. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the béchamel (milk mixture) into the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle lightly with onions. Arrange potatoes in the bottom of the dish, overlapping as you go. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the onions. Pour 1/4 of the béchamel evenly over the potatoes. Continue layering in the same manner: Potatoes, onions, béchamel; potatoes, onions, béchamel. Finish with a layer of potatoes, topped with the last bit of béchamel.
- Place baking dish onto a rimmed baking sheet. Spray a piece of tin foil on one side with vegetable spray. Tent the foil over the potatoes and place into the hot oven. Set timer for 45 minutes.
- After timer goes off, reduce heat to 350°F and remove the tin foil. Continue to bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1122 | Total Carbs: 196 g | Total Fat: 44 g | Total Protein: 18 g | Total Sodium: 3282 g | Total Sugar: 5 g Per Serving: Calories: 187 | Carbs: 33 g | Fat: 7 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 547 mg | Sugar: 1 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.