Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Making your own vegan butter is easy. Of course, that’s because all the hard work has been done by others who figured out all the science, like Mattie at www.veganbaking.net. All that’s left to do is create your own variation to make the butter you like best. When I set out to make my vegan butter recipe, I knew two things: (1) it would be palm-oil free and (2) it would be soy-free. I ordered huge ice trays and bought organic raw coconut oil and raw sunflower lecithin. I already had guar gum and xanthan gum because I use them in gluten-free baking. The only question was which milk to use. I don’t use soy milk because I wanted my butter to be soy-free. I normally drink unsweetened, 40 calorie almond milk but it’s a thin milk. I ended up making 2 batches of butter: one with the almond milk and one with a cashew puree. The results were close – they both looked like butter, they both tasted like butter, but the almond milk butter was oilier and had a looser texture. The cashew-based butter was creamier and had a more solid texture. That vegan butter recipe was the winner! Of course, if you don’t need your vegan butter recipe to be soy-free and/or you need it to be nut-free and seed-free, you could use soy milk and soy lecithin in the recipe instead of the cashews and sunflower lecithin. This vegan butter recipe is easy, creamy, and delicious without any palm oil! It’s such an easy thing to do that means so much for the animals. Because they need their home a whole lot more than we need butter.
Palm-Oil Free, Soy-Free Butter [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Palm-Oil Free, Soy-Free Butter [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup raw cashews or soy milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup raw coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1teaspoon organic canola oil or your choice of oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon raw sunflower lecithin or soy lecithin
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon guar gum (or xanthan gum)
How to Prepare Palm-Oil Free, Soy-Free Butter [Vegan]
- Soak cashews for a few hours. Have all your ingredients and the molds ready so you can work quickly.
- In a food processor, combine the cashews and water and mix until you have a smooth purée. The consistency should be like cream. Pour the cashew purée into a bowl, add the apple cider vinegar and salt. Stir and set aside for about 10 minutes. It should thicken a bit.
- Clean out the food processor. If your coconut oil is not at room temperature, you can heat it until it’s just melted and then let it cool to room temperature.
- Add the coconut oil, the canola oil, the cashew puree mixture, the sunflower lecithin and the guar gum to the food processor.
- Process for about 2 minutes until it is completely smooth. Pour the mixture into the mold and freeze it until it is solid, about an hour or so. You can use an ice cube mold for short sticks of butter or you can use a small container for a tub effect. When it is solid, carefully pop the butter out of the mold.
- The recipe makes 3 short sticks of butter. Wrap each in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer, where they should last for a year. When you want to use one, transfer it to the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1677 | Total Carbs: 8 g | Total Fat: 186 g | Total Protein: 9 g | Total Sodium: 317 g | Total Sugar: 0 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.