Panzerotti is an Italian savory pocket of dough similar to a calzone. This vegan version is made with buckwheat and can easily be made completely gluten-free with a gluten-free flour. The stuffing is made with fennel, dried tomatoes, olives, and harissa to spice things up a bit.
Fennel and Harissa Stuffed Buckwheat Panzerotti [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dough:
- 1 cup and 2 teaspoons flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 2/3 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup warm water
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of harissa
For the Fennel Filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes kept in oil
- 5 olives
- Salt, as needed
- Sift the flour with salt. Make the fountain on a pastry board, add the oil mixed with water and milk, and begin to knead. Form a soft dough, work it well and let it rest wrapped up.
- Meanwhile, wash and clean the fennel, cut into thin slices.
- In a non-stick pan heat two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, add the fennel, and cook over a gentle flame. After 5 minutes,add the salt and cover so as to make them stew. 5 minutes from the end, add tomatoes and crushed olives. Let it cool.
- Divide the dough into four parts, roll them thin with a rolling pin. Spread a little harissa on half of each, spread the fennel, close half-moon sealing the edges with a fork. Cook in a pan a few minutes on each side over medium heat until the dough is cooked. Let it cool and serve.