Harissa is a Tunisian spice sauce that is almost a catch-all for a lot of their dishes. As with all catch-all spices, there are variations to the basic theme, some like it very spicy so they add more cayenne pepper, others mint, and yet others both cilantro and mint.
Ingredients You Need for Harissa [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup dried red cayenne peppers
- 20 mild red chilis such as the Byadgi or Ancho Chilies (also dried)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint (optional)
How to Prepare Harissa [Vegan]
- Soak the chilies with 1/2 cup warm water for 15 minutes. Drain and reserve the water.
- In the meantime, toast the cumin and coriander seeds. Grind to a powder in a coffee grinder.
- Place the chilies, ground spices, garlic, salt and olive oil with a little water in a blender and grind to a paste.
- Add in the chopped cilantro and the mint and pulse a few times. Use some more water if needed.
- Store the mixture in the refrigerator and use as needed.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 531 | Total Carbs: 21 g | Total Fat: 49 g | Total Protein: 7 g | Total Sodium: 2188 g | Total Sugar: 3 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.