Check out this plant-based, delicious stuffing! It is filled with such hearty and amazing flavors! And it is oil free! Make sure you give it a go this holiday season!
Fennel, Fig and Apple Stuffing [Vegan]
- 1 loaf 100% whole wheat or sprouted bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium-sized fennel bulb (stalk, ends, and core removed), diced (shave off any brown spots on outside of bulb
- with a knife)
- 2 1/2 cups diced button mushrooms
- 1 medium-sized apple, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (about 5 turns)
- 8 dried figs, diced (stems removed and discarded)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary (crush with the back of a spoon or with a mortar and pestle)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or water
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the cubed bread onto a baking sheet and spread in a single layer. Bake for 10-13 minutes, stirring once, midway through baking, so the bread pieces get evenly toasted. You want the cubes to be completely dry and crunchy. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. When done, remove from oven and set aside for now. Keep the oven set at 350°F.
- Heat a medium-large pot over medium heat and add the onion, celery and fennel and cook, stirring frequently until the veggies begin to soften, about 5 minutes. If the veggies begin to stick, add a tablespoon of stock or water and stir.
- Add the mushrooms, apple, garlic, salt and pepper and continue stirring until the mushrooms become soft and tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the figs, parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram and oregano and mix well. Add the toasted bread and gently stir.
- Pour the vegetable stock (or water) into the pot and stir, incorporating all of the ingredients together. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes uncovered, or until the top is lightly browned.