A smooth and creamy dessert recipe sure to wow vegans and non-vegans alike! This tart's savory thyme topping brings out the rich, chocolate notes in the mousse.
Chocolate Almond and Thyme Tarts [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Almond and Thyme Tarts [Vegan, Grain-Free]
To Make the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups large flake oats
- 3/4 cups almond flour (ground almonds)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
To Make the Chocolate Mousse Filling:
- 1 package silken tofu
- 3.5-ounce vegan dark chocolate (1 bar)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
To Make the Topping:
- Fresh thyme
- Almonds, chopped
How to Prepare Chocolate Almond and Thyme Tarts [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss your almonds and oats into a food processor and blend until finely ground. In a saucepan melt coconut oil on medium-high heat, add maple syrup, cocoa powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Add liquid mixture to the food processor and blend pie crust ingredients it becomes a dough-like texture (approximately 3-5 minutes).
- Create your tart shells by pressing the pie mixture into the bottom and edges of the tart pans and up the sides. Make the tart shells approx. 1/2 cm in thickness. Place tart shells in the oven to bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Then remove from oven and let tarts cool completely before popping them out of the pans. Clean food processor for next steps.
- While you're waiting for the tart shells to cool prepare your chocolate mousse filling. Strain excess water from the silken tofu by placing it in a fine mesh bag (used for making nut milk), or by bunching up a thin dish towel, or clean tights. Squeeze out all the excess water and then transfer tofu to your food processor. Blend tofu for 2-3 minutes or until silky and smooth.
- Add 2 inches water to a medium-sized pot and bring to a simmer. Place a large glass bowl on top of the pot making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Add chocolate and coconut oil to the bowl to melt, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Add melted chocolate to food processor along with, maple syrup, cocoa powder, rum, vanilla, sea salt, and almond milk. Blend until completely smooth and combined.
- Scoop chocolate mouse filling into tart shells and smoothen to an even layer. Top tarts with fresh thyme and chopped almonds.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Candy Bars & Treats
- Chocolate Cheesecake
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 922 | Carbs: 86 g | Fat: 56 g | Protein: 26 g | Sodium: 21 mg | Sugar: 44 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.