Happy Earth Day! It’s the perfect time to evaluate the impact that our choices have on the planet. There are so many aspects of our lives that negatively impact our environment, and it’s always worth trying to strive toward a more sustainable future. You could participate at local Earth Day events, take one (or more!) of these pledges to help the planet, educate yourself and sign petitions to prompt systemic change, among so many other actions! If you’re looking for something simple to do this Earth Day, look no further!
There’s one simple step that you can take today to encourage more sustainable practices in your life: Download the Food Monster app! It’s an amazing app that will no doubt help you have a more positive effect on the environment in the long term.
Here’s what the Food Monster App can help you with:
1. Reduce Your Meat Consumption
Factory farms are extremely unsustainable and harmful to our planet. They cause mass deforestation, account for 37% of global methane emissions, and use 70% of the world’s freshwater. Even though the animals are kept in inhumanely cramped spaces, it takes quite a bit of land to grow food to feed these animals, and thus, large swaths of forest are cleared to make room for livestock feed. Furthermore, the animals’ waste may be kept in large lagoons, which not only take up space but also pollute water and air. As a result, meat and other animal products, like dairy, are extremely harmful to the environment.
Plant-based foods generally have a much smaller environmental footprint than meat. One study found that a serving size of meat is responsible for 20 times more greenhouse gas emissions and 100 times more land use than a serving of veggies. According to the study, “Producing a serving of processed red meat has the second-highest mean impact on acidification, GHG emissions, and land use and the third-highest mean impact for eutrophication.” Another report found that people who eat meat daily produce 2.8 tons of carbon dioxide annually, as opposed to 1.5 tons for vegetarians and 1.1 tons for vegans.
2. Make Eating Plant-Based Super Easy
Source: One Green Planet/YouTube
Plant-based eating is the way to go. If you’re looking to make the switch, but don’t know where to start, we’ve got you covered. This is where the Food Monster App comes in! The app has thousands of recipes, with more added daily. It makes eating plant-based so easy because there are so many options to choose from that you will be able to find something that appeals to you. Plus, you don’t even have to think about it – there’s no swapping out ingredients to veganize on your own. You can even search for different cuisines, types of food, dietary restrictions, and more to make your plant-based journey effortless. Check out some of the recipes below:
- The Ultimate Grillable Veggie Burger
- Easy Bean Burritos
- Pad Thai with Tofu in Peanut Sauce
- Tempeh Bacon
- Lobster Mushroom Mac ’n’ Cheese
- Quick Veggie-Sushi
- Sunny-Side Up Fried ‘Egg’
- Vegan Carrot Lox Toast with Herbed Cheese
- Chicken and Waffles
- 15-Minute Tofu Scramble
- Seitan Steak With Peppercorn Sauce
- Savory Mushroom and Vegetable Ramen Soup
3. Improve Your Health and Overall Wellbeing
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, and more! Plant-based diets have also been found to lower rates and risks for various diseases! Conversely, dairy and meat consumption has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, breast cancer, prostate cancer, and more.
You’ve probably heard a saying along the lines of “You can’t pour from an empty cup” or “To best serve others, pour from a full cup.” The gist of these expressions is that when you take care of yourself, you’re better able to take care of others. Thus, the positive effects of a plant-based diet reach even further than the reduction in Pollution and emissions. A plant-based diet will make you feel great, which will enable you to care for the planet and those living on it even more. This is where the Food Monster App can help you with over 20,000 plant-based recipes!
Check out some of our others articles to help improve your health:
- How an Anti-Inflammatory Plant-Based Diet Can Boost Your Gut Microbiome
- Plant-Based Foods That Improve Lymphatic Flow and Keep the Body Balanced
- Healthy Plant-Based Foods That Improve Your Blood Flow
- 15 Plant-Based Recipes to Help with Decongestion and Mucus Relief
- Plant-Based Recipes to Prevent GERD and Heartburn
- Combating Restless Leg Syndrome with a Plant-Based Diet
- 15 Plant-Based Recipes with Blood Pressure Lowering Ingredients
4. Eat Seasonally
The Food Monster App enables you to search by ingredient so you can cook with what’s in season near you. On their own, the positive impact of eating in season or eating local-grown foods is a bit complicated. Transportation and the energy it takes to cultivate produce both intersect with other factors, such as water and pesticide use, to compose the environmental impact. It can sometimes be difficult to accurately discern how sustainable one item of produce is in comparison with another. However, if you buy organic, locally-grown, in-season foods, it is likely more sustainable because there are fewer food miles and resources needed to cultivate and transport that food. You can go to a farmer’s market to be more certain about the origin of your food. Plus, this will also allow you to use less packaging waste, as you can bring your own produce bags!
5. Reduce Waste
With so many recipes at your disposal and the ability to search by ingredients, you can plan out your meals for the week! Not only does this make eating plant-based simple, but it also will reduce the amount of food waste that you create. Throwing away food is both a waste of the food itself as well as all of the resources that went into producing it. Plus, when it ends up in landfills, food waste emits methane, a powerful greenhouse gas. According to WWF, “In the US alone, the production of lost or wasted food generates the equivalent of 37 million cars’ worth of greenhouse gas emissions.” The Food Monster App is a great tool to use to keep your food waste to a minimum. You can even find recipes that use pieces of food that you would typically throw away, like Crispy Roasted Cauliflower Leaves and Carrot Top Salsa!
So there you go! The Food Monster App has over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
- From Factory Farming to Fast Fashion: Important Environmental Issues to Learn About This Earth Day!
- Earth Day 2020: 10 Victories for Nature in the Time of Coronavirus That We Should Learn From
- 5 Easy Ways to Cut Down on Your Meat Consumption
- 15 Eco-Friendly Products You Should Begin Using This Earth Day!
- Simple Guide to Waste-Free Grocery Shopping for Earth Day!
- Eat For The Planet This Earth Day With These 10 Recipes That Are Sustainable and Delicious!
- 10 Reasons You Need the Food Monster Mobile App for Healthy Plant-Based Cooking!
- 10 Ways to Adopt a Zero Waste Lifestyle This Earth Day!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.