Crispy fried "chicken" on top of a fluffy stack of waffles... What could be better?! Whether it's the hot sauce baked into the tofu chicken, the sprinkle of rosemary, or the truffle oil in the waffles, this dish is full of tasty surprises. With such a beautiful presentation, this is a must at your next weekend brunch. Don't forget the maple syrup!
Chicken and Waffles [Vegan]
For the Chicken:
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu
- 3 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds, plus 3 tablespoons of water per egg), mixed with ice-cold almond milk
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the Waffles:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons minced rosemary
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons truffle oil
- Heat a large pot of oil on the stove. Cut the tofu block into 1/4-1/3 inch wide slices by cutting along the long side of the block. Press pepper towels into the slices to drain the excess water and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the flax eggs, almond milk, and hot sauce into a small or medium-sized bowl, should be thick.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper into a shallow baking dish. Set a cooling rack aside topped with paper towels. Dip the tofu slices into the hot sauce mixture, then into flour mixture, coating the entire slice. Fry the tofu slices one at a time for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy
To Make the Waffles:
- Preheat your waffle iron. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, minced rosemary, and coconut sugar. Add the almond milk and whisk to combine. Let the batter sit for a couple of minutes while it rises. Spoon batter into your waffle iron and cook according to your waffle iron's instructions. Combine maple syrup with truffle oil.
- Throw together with the vegan fried chicken and serve with truffle maple syrup.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 3217 | Total Carbs: 527 g | Total Fat: 80 g | Total Protein: 86 g | Total Sodium: 18175 g | Total Sugar: 160 g Per Serving: Calories: 804 | Carbs: 132 g | Fat: 20 g | Protein: 22 g | Sodium: 4544 mg | Sugar: 40 g Calculation not including oil for frying. Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
ohmygoodness I\’m super excited to give this a try ðŸ’š
How many does this serve?