These bean burritos come together so well and don't take long to make! Not only can you customize it with the vegetables that you enjoy, but you get can top it with hummus or your own cashew queso cheese!
Recipe from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts and the Rest of Your Life © Matt Frazier and Stepfanie Romine, 2017. Photographs copyright © Ken Carlson, Waterbury Publications Inc. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
Easy Bean Burritos [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Easy Bean Burritos [Vegan]
- Sautéed vegetables (choose one or more to yield 1 to 2 cups/150 to 300 g), such as:
- 2 bell peppers, any color
- 1 small onion
- 1 bunch kale, leaves only
- One 10-ounce (283 g) container cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups (390 g) refried beans
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed and roasted or steamed
- 1/2 cup (30 g) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup (120 g) salsa
- 12 (8-inch or 20 cm) whole-grain tortillas
- 1 cup (245 g) hummus or 1 cup (240 ml) Cashew Queso
How To Make Easy Bean Burritos [Vegan]
- Drain any excess liquid from the sautéed vegetables. Mix the beans, sautéed vegetables, sweet potato, nutritional yeast, and salsa together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Set up an assembly line on the counter with the tortillas, hummus, bean-vegetable mixture, and 12 squares of parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Working one at a time, warm the tortillas. (Microwave them for about 15 seconds each, or bake them at 350°F/180°C for 5 to 7 minutes wrapped in a damp, lint-free towel.)
- Spread hummus on a warm tortilla, then top with heaping 1/2 cup (90 g) of the bean-vegetable mixture. Roll, starting by folding the bottom and top in, then the sides in. Wrap tightly in the parchment or foil. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling. Allow to cool, then refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Fast Food Modification: Use store-bought hummus and canned beans that have been drained and rinsed.