This vegan steak is hearty and satisfying - perfect for a nice night in. The delicious sauce is the perfect finishing touch!
Seitan Steak With Peppercorn Sauce [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon smoke paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons reduced salt soy sauce
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 6 1/3 cups of water
- 3 bay leaves
Peppercorn Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 3 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup soya milk
- Add the water and bay leaves to a simmer in a boiling pan ready for when the steaks are made.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl until mixed, then add the water and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce bit by bit and knead until combined and a sticky dough forms.
- Keep kneading for a couple of minutes then leave it to stand for 5 minutes so that the yeast can activate.
- Knead for a further couple of minutes then cut into 4 and use your hands to flatten the dough out into steak shapes.
- Then add to the simmering water and partially cover the pan.
- Keep the water at a simmer and cook the steaks for 40 minutes (they will probably float so make sure you flip them over half way).
- When 40 minutes is up, drain the water and then fry the steaks in some extra virgin olive oil and the last tablespoon of soy sauce until browned on both sides.
- Melt the butter in a pan, then add the brandy and flour and whisk until a paste forms.
- Add the stock bit by bit until it’s all combined, make sure you keep whisking throughout.
- Then add the peppercorns and soya milk and whisk until combined.
- If you would like the sauce a little thicker just whisk in a little more flour,
- Then serve on top of the steaks and enjoy!
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Can the simmered ‘steaks’ then be frozen & reheated/browned another time ?