These burgers have the perfect texture for grilling. They're not so moist that they're mushy but they're moist enough to stick together! These veggie burgers have a ton of texture, which is achieved by a variety of grains, veggies, and kidney beans. Protein-rich, smoky, and perfect for that BBQ, you've got to take this recipe out to the grill and share with your friends and family! No one will be missing meat.
The Ultimate Grillable Veggie Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup red rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped (if using dried oregano, reduce to 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- Cook quinoa, brown rice and red rice according to package instructions. Cool completely and add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- In a food processor, blend nuts until fine and crumbly and add to mixing bowl. Add beans, chili powder, paprika, oregano, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and chickpea flour to mixing bowl. Mix ingredients with your hands until well incorporated, smashing between your fingers as you go. Mixture should stick together easily but still have whole pieces of beans and rice remaining.
- Form mixture into 1/3 cup patties about 3/4-inch to 1-inch thick. You should end up with 6 or 7 burger patties.
- Heat a grill, brush with oil and place patties on the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until nicely browned, then flip gently and cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side. Remove burgers from heat and serve on buns with desired toppings.