Cooked and blended beans of various varieties make great sauces for pasta and baked dishes such as casseroles. They often turn out to be thick and creamy and are a fantastic way of adding an extra protein punch, especially if it would be lacking otherwise.
You might already be familiar with using beans in your vegan cooking and have tried bean-based recipes such as this one for Mediterranean Baked Lima Beans or these Mexican Black Bean Chorizo Burgers with Cilantro-Lime Corn Fritters. If you are looking for a different way to add beans and legumes to your meals, check out these OGP recipes for lentil and bean-based sauces.
1. Ratatouille White Bean Casserole
Source: Ratatouille White Bean Casserole/One Green Planet
This baked Ratatouille White Bean Casserole by Liz Martone features all of your favorite Mediterranean veggies plus a protein-rich, creamy sauce made from white beans. Blend the cooked beans with some olive oil, garlic, fresh parsley, and a little seasoning for a creamy sauce that gives this classic dish a bit of a twist.
2. Potato Pizza With White Bean Garlic Sauce
Source: Potato Pizza With White Bean Garlic Sauce/One Green Planet
Not a pasta dish, but it is an interesting take on Italian-inspired food and involves a delicious bean-based sauce. This Potato Pizza With White Bean Garlic Sauce by Peffe Stahl turns things around by replacing the classic bread pizza base with potatoes and the common tomato sauce with a creamy white bean version. This is a fun way for your gluten-free friends to join you for a pizza party.
3. Creamy Red Lentil Pasta
Source: Creamy Red Lentil Pasta/One Green Planet
Lentils break down beautifully making them an ideal candidate for sauce bases. The same is true here in the recipe for Creamy Red Lentil Pasta by Stefani Weiss. Cooked red lentils are blended with some veggies and generous seasoning to make a hearty and flavorful sauce for your favorite pasta dish.
4. Creamy Baked Beans
Source: Creamy Baked Beans/One Green Planet
These Creamy Baked Beans by Stefani Weiss make a fantastic side at a BBQ party or have yourself a full bowl as a cozy main dish. Here, the beans are baked down with sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and a bunch of seasoning to make this classic, creamy comfort food.
5. Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti
Source: Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti/One Green Planet
Lentils feature again in this recipe for Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti by Jenn Sebestyen and Kelli Foster. You can hardly go wrong with a generous bowl of spaghetti bolognese but serve this a hunk of homemade garlic bread or a fresh green salad to step things up even further.
6. Lemony White Bean Dip
Source: Lemony White Bean Dip/One Green Planet
Okay, so this says ‘dip’. But, there is no reason why this couldn’t work as a really fresh, yet filling, pasta sauce. This recipe for Lemony White Bean Dip by Crissy Cavanaugh could be the key to a wonderful summer pasta dish with the lemon bringing a bright and zesty flavor.
7. Roasted Cauliflower Steak With Turmeric White Bean Dressing
Source: Roasted Cauliflower Steak With Turmeric White Bean Dressing/One Green Planet
This dish offers a twist on the cauliflower steak idea. In Bianca the Green Creator‘s Roasted Cauliflower Steak With Turmeric White Bean Dressing recipe, beans are blended with soaked cashews and a list of herbs of spices to make the creamiest and most vibrant sauce for the cauliflower bake. Serve a portion of this with some steamed veggies or salad.
8. ‘Cheesy’ Veggie Divan
Source: ‘Cheesy’ Veggie Divan/One Green Planet
The beans are hidden in the cheese sauce in this ‘Cheesy’ Veggie Divan recipe by Diane Smith. Beans, roasted red peppers, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, tahini, mustard, and spices are blended together to make the perfect sauce for the baked veggies.
9. Sopa Seca: Peruvian Pasta Bake
Source: Sopa Seca: Peruvian Pasta Bake/One Green Planet
This traditional Peruvian pasta dish uses black beans as a base for its creamy sauce. This Sopa Seca: Peruvian Pasta Bake by Shannon Martinez and Mo Wyse is a little unusual in that the pasta is first fried before being covered in sauce and baked in the oven.
10. White Bean Cheese Sauce
Source: White Bean Cheese Sauce/One Green Planet
Use this White Bean Cheese Sauce by Marina Yanay-Triner for all of your favorite cheesy pasta needs. You don’t have to miss out on lasagne or mac and cheese ever again when you have this simple recipe on hand. Turmeric helps to give it that classic color and mustard helps to give it a tangy kick!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast Fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!