When you get Chinese food, always get the sauce on the side. This bit of wisdom has made a great impact on my physical health. Instead of sitting down to a plate of soggy vegetables drowning in sauce, I pick up a piece of broccoli with a fork and dip it into the garlic sauce. And guess what? Not only did I save hundreds of calories, I could actually taste the vegetables! Imagine that.
Steamed Vegetables With Garlic Sauce [Vegan]
- 3 Tbs. brown rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. agave nectar
- 3 Tbs. gluten-free tamari
- 3 tsp. mirin
- 1-2 tsp. chili sauce
- ½ tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) + 1 ½ Tbs. water
- 1 Tbs. peanut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Steamed vegetables of your choice
- Brown rice
- Combine the vinegar, agave, tamari, mirin, chili sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Whisk well.
- Combine the arrowroot and water in another bowl or cup and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan and add the garlic. Cook until the garlic starts to become fragrant.
- Add the sauce mixture into the saucepan and let it come to a boil. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and cook on low to medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Serve with steamed vegetables and brown rice.