This amazing Peruvian pasta dish is totally delicious, spicy and atypical. It is nothing like Italian pasta dishes you know and love, but instead it is a delicious, peppery and creamy casserole of its own. Angel hair spaghetti is broken up and baked in a chipotle-infused sauce with black beans and plenty of cilantro. Make it and see for yourself!
Sopa Seca: Peruvian Pasta Bake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 pound and 2 ounces of angel hair pasta, broken into 4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 chipotles in adobo
- 1 pound and 5 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 cups vegan chicken stock
- 14 ounces canned black beans (or whatever beans you have)
- Cilantro cashew sour cream, to serve
- Handful chopped cilantro leaves, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 340°F. Lightly grease a 12x8 inch ovenproof dish with olive oil.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the pasta and fry for 2–3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Place the onion, garlic, chipotles, tomatoes, ground cilantro, and oregano in a blender and process until smooth. Transfer the sauce to a pan with the bay leaves and cook over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the stock, fried pasta, and beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, breaking up the pasta with a spoon, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, then transfer the mixture to the prepared ovenproof dish and cover loosely with foil. Bake for about 20 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve, drizzled with cilantro cashew sour cream and cilantro leaves scattered over the top.
Recipes excerpted with permission from Smith & Daughters: A Cookbook (that happens to be vegan) by Shannon Martinez and Mo Wyse, published by Hardie Grant Books March 2017, RRP $35.00 hardcover. Smith & Daughters is an award-winning vegan restaurant in Melbourne, Australia, twice voted Time Out People’s Choice Restaurant of the Year (2016 and 2014). https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Daughters-Cookbook-Happens-Vegan/dp/1743792077/?tag=onegrepla-20