Chicken divan is a casserole dish traditionally made with broccoli and a béchamel sauce that includes butter, cream, sherry, and cheese. Despite being so heavy in dairy, this classic recipe can easily be made vegan without sacrificing cheesy flavor or creamy texture! This "cheesy" sauce is made with super good-for-you cannellini beans and red roasted peppers. Plus, carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli are all mixed in for some added nutritional value.
‘Cheesy’ Veggie Divan [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (depending on size), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 carrots, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers or homemade
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Spray the bottom of a 9x12-inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
Steam the veggies in a large frying pan over boiling water or in a steamer basket until crisp and tender. Place into your prepared baking pan.
Prepare the cheese sauce by placing the beans, roasted red peppers, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, tahini, mustard, and spices in a blender.
Blend until very smooth adding a little vegetable stock to thin and make it easier to remove.
Scrap the cheese sauce from the blender into a large pan over medium heat. Reuse your steaming pan if that works. Add the veggie stock.
Mix carefully with a whisk until the sauce is smooth and liquid is incorporated together with the cheese sauce. Let heat through.
Pour the sauce over the veggies and move them around a little to make sure the sauce covers them. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.Serve with your choice of grain.