Yes, I said it, and I’ll say it again The Best Vegan Lasagna Ever. This recipe is very easy, but it does make a lot of dirty dishes!
The Best Lasagna Ever [Vegan]
- 1 box brown rice lasagna noodles
- 2 32-ounces jars tomato sauce
- 1 16-ounces bag vegan shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 12-ounce container vegan ricotta cheese
- 1 13.7-ounces bag meatless crumbles
- 1 small diced sweet onion
- 1/2 small minced green pepper
- 5 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup packed firm fresh basil shredded to make
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
- 5-6 large thick sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large sliced thick sweet onion
- 1 large sliced thick zucchini squash
For the Tofu Ricotta:
- 1/2 block drained firm tofu
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper *optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt *or any salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese
- First, prepare the brown rice lasagna noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water.
- Make the tofu ricotta by combining the tofu, fresh parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, vegan parmesan cheese, about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and lemon juice together in a large mixing bowl and crumble the tofu with a fork while mixing everything together. Set aside
- In a large saute pan cook the beefless crumbles until starting to brown (I am trying not to use oil in my cooking but sometimes add a tablespoon of olive oil to help it brown) add the garlic, minced green pepper, and diced onion and cook stirring often until the veggies are cooked through. Add the basil, salt & pepper to season and 1 jar of the tomato sauce stir to combine, remove from heat and reserve.
- Roast or grill the zucchini, sliced sweet onions and mushrooms just to render them slightly and also to help them release much of their water content, this is important to avoid a watery soggy lasagna.
- Now that all the components are prepared you can assemble the lasagna.
- Pour half of the second jar of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9" x 13" casserole pan or cake pan.
- Layer with half of the cooked lasagna noodles, then half of the "meat" mixture, a layer of tofu ricotta (or half of the total if you are using only tofu ricotta), the grilled veggies get layered next, about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, the Kite Hill Ricotta gets spread next (or the other half of the tofu ricotta), the remaining "meat" layer, then the remaining lasagna noodles and then top with the other half of the second jar of tomato sauce and the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 45 minutes, allow cooling for about an hour before serving to make clean slices, serve with more tomato sauce if desired