The combination of sweet potatoes and beans alone is perfect, however, soaked in a tomato sauce flavored with the taste of leeks, garlic, and mushroom is just the best. The good news for this recipe is that the summer is at our doorstep, and we all know that there is no better season for tomatoes than summer! The tomatoes are also incredibly healthy and good for you so make sure you include them in your meals this summer. Here's a delicious meal to start you off.
Creamy Baked Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 8.8-ounce can butter beans
- 1 8.8-ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 medium-sized leek, chopped
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3.5 ounces White Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 8.8-ounce crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons water or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Into a pan, add the minced garlic, leek, and mushroom with a tablespoon or two olive oil. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- In the same pan, add the crushed tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans of all the liquid and add them to the pan together with the sweet potato cubes and 0.8 cups of water or vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Preheat the oven to 345°F. Pour the mix into a baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.