This Bolognese is so easy it will become one of your go-to meals. It contains healthy plant-based protein and fiber, but go ahead and serve with a simple salad and garlic bread to complete the meal.
Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti [Vegan]
- 16 ounces (455 g) spaghetti noodles or pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 10 ounces (280 g) cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) robust dry red wine (optional)
- 1 can (28 ounces, or 785 g) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) tamari, coconut aminos, or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (2 g) dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon (5 g) dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup (198 g) cooked brown or green lentils
How to Prepare Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti [Vegan]
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 7 to 8 minutes until soft and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine and sauté until no liquid is left, stirring occasionally. Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, tamari, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the cooked lentils and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.
- Serve warm over the spaghetti.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.