This beautiful pasta dish pairs smooth and sweet leeks, crisp asparagus, tangy lemon, a fresh hint of dill, and a deliciously creamy yet light cashew sauce.The special ingredient in this dish is smoked kelp, which brings a smoky, bacon-ish flavor to everything. Not only does this dinner taste amazing, it's ready in just 15 minutes — so it's guaranteed to become a weeknight favorite in your house.
Creamy Leek and Asparagus Pasta [Vegan]
- 7 ounces whole grain spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large leek
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1/2 cup cashews, (plus 2 cups pasta cooking water)
- 2 teaspoons smoked kelp
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cracked black pepper
- Fresh dill and extra smoked kelp, for topping
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Add coconut oil to a pan over medium heat. While that's warming up, slice your leek, pop it in a pan, and sauté gently. Don't turn the heat to high, as you want your leek to sauté and go clear, not crispy and brown.
- While that's cooking, put your garlic through a crusher or slice finely, add it to the pan, and cook everything for 2 more minutes.
- Now, slice your asparagus into thirds (or quarters if they're particularly large). Remember to crack off the stringy ends, as they're not too tasty. Add the asparagus to the pan, cover with a lid, turn the heat down to low, and let steam through.
- Now put your cashews in a blender with the lemon juice and salt. Your pasta will now be done, so strain it, but reserve 2 cups of cooking water, then add the water to the blender. Pulse on high for a minute until super creamy and smooth.
- Pour your sauce on top of the leek mix, heating gently for a minute, then add your pasta, smoked kelp, cracked pepper to taste and stir through.
- Serve in warm bowls topped with cracked black pepper, fresh dill, more smoked kelp to sprinkle, and lemon wedges on the side.