While the cubs are only 75 days old (and growing!), Fathy and Filisteen are now neighborhood regulars and are spotted daily. Abu Jamea underscores the risks of keeping the lions in his care. “When you raise them as babies, a harmony will grow between both of you and (they) will not hurt you,” he told Reuters, even as his nephews, brothers and neighbors all play with the cubs.
Animal activists are not thrilled with the situation. Amir Khalil, a veterinarian who has traveled to Gaza with the animal rights group Four Paws told Reuters he was concerned, “I advise the Gaza authorities to take away those lions. At the age of six months a lion becomes more dangerous as his size gets bigger and his muscles become stronger. Raising lions at home may deprive them of health, sufficient food and medical care and may result in acute health problems. Especially to the muscles, joints and bones.”
Hassan Azzam, director of veterinary services at Gaza’s agriculture ministry told the news outlet he would monitor the situation.
Lions and tigers should not be kept in homes or zoos or circuses. They belong in the wild. These poor animals are often taken from their mothers at a young age, which is traumatizing to them both. Once they get bigger and thus, more dangerous, they are confined to their cages more often. Living in such small, unnatural spaces can cause zoochosis and the lions’ deteriorating mental health can lead to them harming themselves as well as the people around them.
We can do our part to protect these animals in the United States! Please sign this petition urging Congress to pass the Big Cat Public Safety Act.
Read more below to learn about how animals are abused for entertainment and why this is extremely inhumane:
- Watch Former Circus Tigers Arrive at a Sanctuary and Enjoy Life for the First Time!
- Another Distressed Circus Lion Attacks Trainer During Show
- Rescued Circus Lion Feels Grass and Dirt for the First Time in 13 Years! (VIDEO)
- How Life for a Circus Tiger Compares to the Life of a Wild Tiger
- Kendall Jenner Kneeling on Back of Horse for Halloween Fashion Photo is Disgraceful
- Jason Momoa Recklessly Feeds Cookie to a Bear from his Mouth as Publicity Stunt to Promote Movie
- The Do’s and Don’ts: Your Handy Guide To Animal Entertainment
- Horrifying Video of Monkey Dressed Like a Little Girl and Begging Shows Why Animals Don’t Belong as Entertainment
- Animals Who Escaped Captivity and What They Teach Us About the Consequences of Entertainment
- BREAKING: Los Angeles Bans Use of Wild Animals for Entertainment!
- How We’ve Manipulated Animals for Entertainment
- Empty the Cages! How We’re Fighting for the Freedom of Animals Used for Entertainment
- Booking.com No Longer Sells Tickets to Captive Animal Attractions!
- Champion Horse Trainer Charged With Animal Cruelty Shows Horse Racing is Indeed a Cruel Sport
- The Problem with Wildlife Selfies: 10 Times Taking Pictures with a Wild Animal Ended Badly
Read more about wild animal kept as pets and why this is extremely inhumane:
- Florida Man Charged After His Leopard Bit a Visitor’s Head
- Here’s Why Exotic Animals Belong in the Wild, Not as ‘Pets’ in Our Backyards
- There Are More Tigers in Backyards Than the Wild – This Action Could Change That
- After Years in Backyards and Roadside Zoos, 13 Bears are Finally Getting a Second Chance at Life!
- 3 Tigers and a Leopard Rescued From Living in NY Backyard Finally Reach Their Sanctuary Home
- Lions Don’t Belong in Backyards! 5 Worst States for Exotic Animal Ownership
- Why These 5 Wild Animals Should Never be Kept as Pets
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!