Transitioning into fall foods can sometimes be a bit confusing, especially if you live in a place where it takes a little bit longer for the cooler fall weather to set in. The best way to eat the best food all year round is to eat seasonally. This means choosing produce that’s in its peak season so you’re eating the best-tasting produce. Salads are a great way to fit in a variety of seasonal produce and both micro and macronutrients. This guide focuses on gorgeous and delicious salads you can create and enjoy as the weather shifts from summer to fall.
End-of-summer salads carry the refreshing and bright flavors of summer while fall salads start to introduce roasted vegetables paired with more earthy and warming flavors. Both salads are a great way to eat lots of color and you can pair these salads with your favorite plant-based protein and grain to make it a fuller meal.
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 20,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy! And don’t forget to check out our Weekly Meal Plan Archives!
This week, we’re bringing delicious, fully vegan, and plant-based ways to enjoy late summer and early autumn salads!
End of Summer Salads
Source: BLT Salad
End-of-summer salads are a great way to get the last of summer’s produce. This list focuses on those brighter flavors of summer such as lemon, BBQ, and fresh herbs. You can also pair greens with a creamy chickpea salad or a pasta salad for another added freshness and crunch.
- Soba Noodle Salad by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer
- BLT Salad by Shane Martin
- Avocado and Grilled Zucchini Salad by Alchemy Eats
- Bbq Soy Curls Salad by Denise Perrault
- Quinoa Salad with Garlic Dijon Vinaigrette by Caroline Doucet
- Creamy Chickpea Salad with Fresh Herbs by Denise Perrault
- Roasted Red Pepper Chickpea Salad by Jackie Akerberg
Salads for the fall season include warming ingredients such as roasted vegetables and warm spices (think cinnamon, rosemary, and thyme). With the added roasted vegetables over the greens, the entire salad becomes comforting and filling, and you can even add warm beans over top for a heartier serving.
- Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad by Maria Koutsogiannis
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Dates and Tahini by Jackie Akerberg
- Chopped Romaine and Sautéed Fennel Salad by Erin Bruns
- Spicy Chipotle Sweet Potato Chopped Salad by Shanika Graham-White
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad by Ross Bearman, Great Taste Judge and Founder of Ross & Ross Gifts
- Kale and Roasted Almond Quinoa Salad by Julie Zimmer
- Roasted Potato Broccoli Salad by Robin Browne
- Hearty Roasted Vegetable Rice Salad by Patrica Granek
- Warm Mushroom Salad by Planted and Picked
In Season Salads
Source: Rainbow Quinoa and Pear Salad
Foods that are in season right now include artichokes, pears, avocados, and beets. Using these vegetables to create salads is a great way to enjoy a variety of veggies and colors on your plate. Plus, eating seasonally ensures that you’re getting the best-tasting produce and using produce at it’s peak season.
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Kale Apple Salad by Dominique Ebra
- Rainbow Quinoa and Pear Salad by Denise Perrault
- Pear Salad With Crispy Chickpea Croutons by Laine Rudolfa
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Squash Salad with Horseradish Dressing by Viktoria Radichkova
- Brussel Sprout Salad with Pecans and Apple by Robin Browne
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad With Miso Pear Dressing by Jodi Kay
- Lemony Pearl Barley Salad With Almonds and Herbs by Sarah Gory
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.