Creamy chickpea salad with fresh herbs, luscious cashew dressing, scallions, and celery is a minimal effort vegan picnic salad that won't wait for warm weather. This refreshing take on vegan potato salad is perfect for plate-piling lunches or dolloping between two slices of toasted bread or piled in homemade pita bread.
Creamy Chickpea Salad with Fresh Herbs [Vegan]
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup celery, diced small
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- If you do not have a high-speed blender, prep the cashews by placing them in a bowl and covering them with boiling water. Set aside and allow the cashews to soak for 20 minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients. (see notes for alternative methods).
- To make the dressing, add the drained cashews, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and 1/4 of a cup of water to the blender.
- Blend until smooth. Check the consistency and then add water 1 tablespoon at-a-time, blending after you add water until you have a smooth dressing.
- Mix in the ground black pepper, dill, and parsley. Taste the dressing and adjust the flavors if needed. Add salt if needed.
- Add the chickpeas to a medium salad bowl and pour over the dressing. Mash about 1/3 of the chickpeas for a creamier consistency. Mix in the celery and scallions.
- Garnish with more chopped dill and/or parsley.
- The salad is best if allowed to sit for 30 minutes; however, you can serve it immediately. Alternatively, you can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Mix the salad before serving and add a squeeze of lemon if desired.