This savory salad is brimming with nourishing foods. There's tender kale, roasted cauliflower, black rice, three types of seeds, and fresh pear slices. All of the components are tossed in a unique, salty-sweet dressing made with miso paste, garlic, apple cider vinegar, tamari, pear, and maple syrup. Make a big bowl of this salad for yourself or serve it at a get-together as a pleasant deviation from the typical garden salad.
Roasted Cauliflower Salad With Miso Pear Dressing [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 2 tablespoons tamari, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup each pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame seeds
- 3 stalks curly green kale, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked black rice
For the Dressing:
- 1 large pear, cored, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon light miso paste (shiro miso)
- 1 small garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons water, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Toss cauliflower florets with olive oil and one tablespoon tamari and spread out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roasted in the oven until lightly crispy and brown, about 20 minutes. Toss the seeds with a splash of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of tamari and add to the baking sheet with the cauliflower. Return everything to the oven to crisp for another 10 minutes. Once the seeds are crackling, remove and let cool.
- For the dressing add all the ingredients except the oil to a small blender and being blending. Pour in the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Add a splash of water if needed for desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add a drizzle of heat resistant oil to a hot pan, toss in the kale leaves with a good pinch of salt. Sautée the leaves until just some are starting to get crispy around the edges. Remove from heat. Alternatively, the kale can be added in raw.
- Combine kale and rice in a large salad bowl. Top with fresh pear slices and tamari roasted cauliflower and seeds. Add dressing and serve.