Marinated artichokes have so many uses that they should be considered a pantry staple; they're perfect for everything from topping pizzas to tossing into a salad or pasta to arranging on an antipasto platter. But store-bought versions tend to be mushy and bland—and expensive. These artichokes are easy, inexpensive, and boldly flavorful.
Marinated Artichokes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Marinated Artichokes [Vegan]
- 2 lemons
- 2 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds baby artichokes (2 to 4 ounces each)
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled (6 smashed, 2 minced)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
How to Prepare Marinated Artichokes [Vegan]
- Using vegetable peeler, remove three 2-inch strips zest from 1 lemon. Grate 1/2 teaspoon zest from second lemon and set aside. Halve and juice lemons to yield 1/4 cup juice, reserving spent lemon halves and setting aside juice. Combine oil and lemon zest strips in large saucepan.
- Working with 1 artichoke at a time, peel and trim stem to remove dark green layer, then cut off top quarter of artichoke. Break off tough outer leaves by pulling them downward until you reach delicate yellow leaves. Cut artichokes in half lengthwise (quarter if large). Rub each artichoke half with spent lemon half and place in saucepan.
- Add smashed garlic, thyme sprigs, pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to saucepan and bring to rapid simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally to submerge all artichokes, until artichokes can be pierced with fork but are still firm, about 5 minutes. Off heat, let sit, covered, until artichokes are fork-tender and fully cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in 1/2 teaspoon reserved grated lemon zest, 1/2 cup reserved lemon juice, and minced garlic. Transfer artichokes and oil to serving bowl and let cool to room temperature. Season with salt to taste and sprinkle with mint. Serve. (Artichokes and oil can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.)
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.