This flatbread pizza is a compilation of summer veggies on top of a cassava flour flatbread, which is so simple and flavorful. Feel free to mix it up with what you're able to find, this one is super flexible!
Summer Vegetable Flatbread Pizza [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 plus 1/3 cup water
- 1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil (divided)
- Herbs de Provence or dried oregano/fave herbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and thinly slice vegetables (use a mandoline slicer if you've got it!). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using the 1 teaspoon of olive oil, toss all veggie slices in a bowl until covered and spread over baking sheets. Roast for 15 minutes just until slightly tender (they'll cook more later on the pizza).
- Make the dough for the pizza crust while the veggies start to roast by mixing all dry ingredients, then the flax egg and olive oil. Slowly add the 1/2 cup of water as you mix and keep another 1/3 cup of water that you can use if necessary. Mix everything into a ball of dough with your hands.
- Add parchment paper to your workspace and lightly flour it with more cassava flour, throw your dough ball down and knead for a couple of minutes until you've reached the desired texture by either adding more flour or water. *If it is summer, which means humidity - you may need more flour than water if it's sticky.* Once finished, add a piece of parchment paper to the top of the dough and roll out until it's thin and even, but not so thin that it's falling apart.
- Once your veggies are done, take them off the baking sheet and place in a mixing bowl and let cool a bit.
- Raise the heat of the oven to 450°F and add the pizza with parchment paper to the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of olive oil with roughly chopped basil in a separate small bowl. Toss cooked veggies with the basil olive oil until coated with tongs and place them on top of the pizza evenly. Top with salt and herbs.
- Last step! Pop the pizza with toppings back into the oven and bake for 15 minutes and if you like the edges extra crispy like I do, broil it for just 5 minutes and YOU'RE READY!