The olive oil allowed me to place the beets directly on the grill. If you’d rather avoid the oil you can use a small amount of non-stick spray on a sheet of aluminum foil. Also, depending on the size of your beets, you may end up with some leftovers. Just stick them in the fridge, they reheat wonderfully!
Grilled Beet Salad With Almonds and Dried Cranberries [Vegan]
- 1 bunch fresh beets (4-5 beets, each about the size of a small apple)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups spring mix, or lettuce of choice
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Balsamic dressing
- Trim the greens and ends off the beets, and peel off the skin. Your fingers will start to look a little red, but never fear- a little dish soap and a scrubby sponge will get that off as soon as you’re done! Slice the beets about ½ inch thick, and brush on a small amount of olive oil.
- Place the beets (oiled side down) on the grill over medium-low heat, then brush a small amount of oil on the tops. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and close the grill lid. Leave for 8-10 minutes, then flip the beets and leave on for another 7-8 minutes. Keep an eye on them for charring, and depending on your grill they may need an extra minute or two. When they’re done, remove from the grill and cut the slices into halves or quarters.
- While the beets are grilling, lay your lettuce out on the plates. Top with the warm beets (5-6 pieces per salad) and sprinkle with the cranberries and almonds (2 tablespoons each per salad). Drizzle with your favorite balsamic dressing and enjoy!
- Beet Recipes
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
I’ve been reading Barb’s blog for a while; she’s a very talented cook and gifted writer. I’m pleased to see her post on this site. Oh and I love, love, love beets! Thanks so much for this beautiful recipe.
We’re also glad to have Barb posting on OGP! Hope you enjoy the recipe.
So easy and super healthy! I’ve never really used beets before but they keep popping up in recipes that I want to try so I guess it’s time I give them a go!
It’s a great time to try beets.
I just bought a huge bag of beets from the store- I just used some for a smoothie but I think the rest should go into making this salad :)
Let us know how it turns out!