Roasted brussels sprouts and squash salad with horseradish dressing – this warm salad combines all the favorite flavors of fall – the sweetness of roasted veggies and dry fruit, with crunchy nuts, and a pungent horseradish dressing that ties them all in.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Squash Salad with Horseradish Dressing [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Squash Salad with Horseradish Dressing [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts
- 2 cups butternut squash chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 2 tablespoons coconut/brown sugar optional for roasting the butternut squash
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts or other nuts of choice
- 1/4 cup dry mulberries*
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 big pinch of chili flakes
- 1 big pinch of cinnamon optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
How to Prepare Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Squash Salad with Horseradish Dressing [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash and clean your brussels sprouts. Cut brussels sprouts in half if too big, or leave whole, but peel off a few outer leaves, and reserve those.
- Spread brussels sprouts and the reserved outer leaves on a baking sheet, and drizzle liberally with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Cover with foil and roast in the oven for about 45-50 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the sprouts are soft and caramelized. Remove the foil in the last 15 minutes of roasting.
- Keep an eye on the loose brussels sprouts leaves as they get toasted and turn into chips pretty fast - remove from the oven before the rest of the veggies, if necessary, and reserve to sprinkle on top of the salad.
- Peel and cut the butternut squash into bite-size pieces. Place on a baking sheet with olive oil, 1-2 Tbs of brown sugar (if using), and salt. Roast for 40 minutes or until the squash is nicely caramelized and soft.
- On a third baking sheet, spread the hazelnuts (if raw) and the mulberries, and roast for 10 minutes in the oven. Remove and let cool. The berries will still appear to be soft, but once they cool, they will be crunchy.
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients, except the olive oil; slowly whisk in the oil a bit at a time.
- Assemble the salad by tossing the roasted vegetables with about 4-5 tablespoons of dressing, some salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle the toasted hazelnuts and mulberries on top, and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.