As a child, my favorite ice cream flavor was pistachio and espresso. Odd choices for a child; most would choose vanilla, chocolate or strawberry. I never knew why I liked them; I just did, and that was good enough for me. I still do, in fact.
Espresso Biscuit and Pistachio Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan, Sugar-Free]
- 1.5 packed cups spelt flour
- 2 heaped tbsp powdered stevia
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a strong cup of espresso (i.e. espresso cup-sized, not U.S. measures cup-sized)
- 7 oz shelled pistachios
- 1 cup coconut cream, chilled
- 1 tbsp powdered stevia
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cube the vegan butter and add it to the dry ingredients, rubbing them all together using the pads of your fingertips. The mixture should begin to resemble wet sand.
- Add in the espresso and knead together with your hands. Tip onto a clean surface and work the dough into a smooth ball. Cover with cling film, put it back in the bowl and leave to chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Unwrap the dough and, using a rolling pin, roll it out quite thinly on a clean surface. It should be just under half a centimeter thick. Using a cookie cutter 2.5 inches in diameter cut out as many shapes as you can and place them onto the lined sheets. Roll up the strands of dough into a smooth ball, flatten again, and start over the process. Do this until there is no dough left; you should have about 30 biscuits.
- Bake 13-15 minutes, or until the edges start to brown and crisp up. Cool on a wire rack; meanwhile, prepare the ice cream.
- Pulse the pistachios to a fine powder in a high-speed blender. Add the coconut cream and stevia and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze for about an hour.
- Freeze the biscuits for about 20 minutes before spreading ice cream onto them.
- To make 8 ice cream sandwiches you will need 16 biscuits and a generous tablespoon of freshly made pistachio ice cream.
- If you left the ice cream in the freezer for longer than an hour, you may need to thaw it for half an hour before scooping onto your sandwiches.
- Use a spoon or ice cream scoop dipped in hot water if you have trouble cutting through the ice cream.