Get ready to toss out all the usual norms and conventions because May 11th is National Eat What You Want Day! The holiday was created to help people break out from all the restrictions and diet trends that saturate our lives.
Of course, eating whatever you want doesn’t have to mean indulging in an entire day of nothing but junk food. This is the day to get creative and try something totally out of the box. Celebrate Taco Tuesday on a Wednesday. Prepare a Thanksgiving feast for your midweek dinner. Eat dessert all day long. Buy that artisan vegan cheese you’ve been dying to splurge on.
For our Eat What You Want Day, we are turning the day upside down. First, we have a bunch of amazing breakfast dishes you can eat for dinner. So what’s for breakfast? Dessert. Check out the scrumptious desserts that you can indulge in for breakfast —that’s what we want to eat today.
1. Chocolate Stout-Filled Doughnuts
Are doughnuts for breakfast or dessert? Today, they are perfect for both meals. Chocolate Stout-Filled Doughnuts sound too good to be true. Light, fluffy, and sugar-coated doughnuts are filled with a dark, rich chocolate cream that’s flavored with stout. Serve these up with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
2. Chamomile Panna Cotta With Citrus Fruits
Panna cotta is a classic Italian dessert, but this Chamomile Panna Cotta With Citrus Fruits would also make a delicious breakfast. After all, it’s made with fresh citrus fruit, rice milk, and chamomile – all foods you might have for breakfast. The soft, creamy chamomile cashew cream is combined with fresh oranges, but it is subtle, so the blood orange sauce takes center stage in this recipe.
3. Chocolate Protein Cereal
If you love having a bowl of crunchy breakfast cereal as a late-night snack, then this Chocolate Protein Cereal is perfect for you. This high-protein chocolate cereal is crunchy, with just the right amount of sweetness. It’s energizing and all-natural with no hidden preservatives. Curl up on the couch and munch on this chocolatey treat while you watch TV.
4. Berry Coconut Smoothie Bowls
Mornings can be rough and these Berry Coconut Smoothie Bowls are a great way to brighten up the start of your day. They are loaded with good-for-you ingredients like bananas, mixed berries, coconut water, flaxseed meal, and oats. We think they’re also a delicious way to indulge in something beautiful as a reward for a long, rough day.
5. Whole Wheat Crepe Cake With Chocolate Mousse
Chocolate mousse for breakfast sounds like heaven to us. This Whole Wheat Crepe Cake With Chocolate Mousse is made from light and fluffy crepes that are layered with whipped coconut cream and a creamy chocolate avocado mousse. Dates add natural sweetness so you don’t have to worry about a sugar crash before lunch.
6. Citrus Corncakes With Kumquat Syrup
These sunny and sweet Citrus Corncakes With Kumquat Syrup will brighten your morning but they will also make a delicious dinner. Orange juice adds a pop of citrus to these savory cornmeal pancakes. A generous drizzle of the kumquat syrup brings sweetness without being overpowering. Enjoy these pancakes for breakfast, dinner, or dessert.
7. Orange Walnut Cronut
The cronut craze continues with this Orange Walnut Cronut that you can make in your kitchen. These light and fluffy cronuts are flavored with fresh orange juice and zest, blessing them with a bright and citrusy flavor. A sprinkling of chopped walnuts and a drizzle of chocolate sauce adds a finishing touch and makes these cronuts as photo-worthy as they are tasty.
8. Fruity and Nutty Breakfast Jars
These Fruity and Nutty Breakfast Jars will be your new obsession. Mason jar overnight oats are a great way to get a good, wholesome breakfast on the go, but they also make a delicious and healthy dessert because it’s so easy to customize the flavors to whatever you want. This recipe strikes the perfect balance of crunchy nuts and seeds and soft, chewy fruits. Serve these with a dollop of coconut yogurt for breakfast or with whipped cream for dessert.
9. Chocolate Peanut Butter Raspberry Bars
Peanut butter and jelly is a classic — sweet and creamy, and the favorite sandwich of many. These Chocolate Peanut Butter Raspberry Bars pay homage to all that goodness by combining all those flavors into a dessert. Fresh raspberries and raspberry jelly stand-in for the classic grape jelly, a layer of chocolate is thrown into the mix, and it’s all sandwiched between two layers of peanut butter oat crumble. Have one of these for breakfast with your morning coffee or tea and your day will start with a smile.
10. Iced Cinnamon and Date Rolls
Everyone loves sweet, sticky cinnamon rolls and these Iced Cinnamon and Date Rolls are so delicious that you may have them for breakfast and dessert. The doughy rolls are filled with a sweet and gooey cinnamon filling and glazed with a simple icing. We are warning you — make an extra batch because these will disappear in the blink of an eye.
11. Button Mushroom and Leek Quiche
Who doesn’t love a vegetable-filled quiche? This Button Mushroom and Leek Quiche is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. A flaky pie crust is filled with a light and fluffy mixture of savory White Button mushrooms and greens. The result is an unbelievably savory, delicious tart that you’ll want to make again and again.
12. Chocolate Cranberry Overnight Oats With Cashew Cream
These Chocolate Cranberry Overnight Oats With Cashew Cream may be a breakfast recipe, but it’s indulgent enough for dessert. Overnight oats are combined with banana, chocolate, and cranberry and then topped with a light and sweet coconut cashew cream. All you need to do is prepare the oats the night before, pop the jar in the fridge, and they will be ready to enjoy in the morning or after dinner. It’s creamy, sweet, filling, and delicious.
13. Blueberry Hand Pies With a Flaky Crust
Once you taste these Blueberry Hand Pies with a Flaky Crust, you’ll never buy those boxed fruit pies again. Sweet, gooey blueberries fill a deliciously flaky and slightly sweet hand pie crust. They’re an amazing breakfast when warmed just a little bit, or even for dessert with a drizzle of cashew frosting.
14. White Bean Cauliflower and Caramelized Garlic Toasts
If you love savory breakfast dishes, these White Bean Cauliflower and Caramelized Garlic Toasts are perfect for you. Crispy toast is topped with a savory mixture of cauliflower purée, white beans, and fresh herbs. The mixture is lightly seasoned, allowing you to experience the full flavors offered by the cauliflower and beans. This hearty breakfast will keep you going until lunchtime, but it also makes a light and satisfying dinner.
15. Cinnamon Raisin Whole Wheat Bagels With Maple Cashew Cream Cheese
Bagels are a favorite breakfast food and these Cinnamon Raisin Whole Wheat Bagels with Maple Cashew Cream Cheese are great for breakfast, as well as for dinner, or even as a hearty snack. Warm cinnamon and sweet raisins are just the flavors you’ll want with the maple-sweetened cream cheese. Enjoy this bagel toasted, with a schmear of cashew cream cheese and a cup of coffee. If they’re for dinner or dessert, make it decaf.
Yum! We think we should have breakfast for dinner and dessert for breakfast more often. It’s National Eat What You Want Day – what are you going to eat? Tell us in the comments.
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home!
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Unfortunately, dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer, and has many side effects.
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend purchasing one of our many plant-based cookbooks or downloading the Food Monster App which has thousands of delicious recipes making it the largest vegan recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.