These hearty whole wheat bagels will give you the lasting energy you need to get through the start of your day. Warm cinnamon and sweet raisins are just the flavors you'll want with the maple-sweetened cream cheese. Enjoy this bagel toasted, with a schmear of cream "cheese" and a cup of coffee.
Cinnamon Raisin Bagels With Maple Cashew Cream Cheese [Vegan]
For the Bagels:
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 non-dairy milk, plus 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (vegan buttermilk)
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 3/4 cup barley flour
- 1/4 cup psyllium husks
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons Sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
For the Cream Cheese:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 3 hours
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
To Make the Bagels:
- Combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, until foamy.
- In another bowl, mix the milk and apple cider vinegar and let it rest.
- Combine the flours, psyllium husks, and spices in a large bowl.
- Using a stand mixer with the hook attachment, add the coconut oil, raisins, yeast mixture, and buttermilk to the flour mixture.
- On medium speed, knead for 12-15 minutes, until you get a smooth, not sticky, and pliable dough. If the dough is too wet/sticky, add more whole wheat flour, one tablespoon at a time.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel. Let it rise in a warm place for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 6 equal parts.
- Using your hands, shape each part into a ball, and then carefully make a hole (about 1-inch wide) in the middle with your fingers.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and baking soda to a boil. Add 1-2 bagels at a time and let them boil for 1 minute. Then, flip them and let them boil for another minute.
- Scoop them out of the water with a slotted spoon and place them in the prepared baking sheet.
- Once all the bagels had been through the same process, transfer them to the oven and bake for 15 - 17 minutes until golden brown.
- Let them cool completely on a wire rack.
To Make the Cream Cheese:
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, blend the cashews (soaked and rinsed), nutritional yeast, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt, and apple cider vinegar until smooth.