This recipe is for toast topped with a savory mixture of cauliflower purée, white beans, and fresh herbs. The mixture is lightly seasoned, allowing you to experience the full flavors offered by the cauliflower and beans. This hearty breakfast will keep you going until lunchtime. If you're looking for a unique way to start your day, look no further.
White Bean, Cauliflower, and Caramelized Garlic Toasts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 6.76 ounces dried white beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole garlic heads
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Fresh parsley
- Gluten-Free bread slices
- Olive oil
- Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse. Cook with bay leaves in salted water until soft, about 40 minutes.
- Separate garlic cloves and peel them. Bring some water to boil and cook garlic cloves for 3 minutes. Drain garlic cloves, but spare the cooking water. Dry the pot. Stir-fry garlic cloves in oil for 3 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Add water, vinegar, salt, and sugar. Set heat to medium-low and simmer garlic cloves for about 20 minutes, until cooking liquid has reduced and become syrup-like.
- Preheat oven to 430°F. Separate cauliflower florets and set them on baking tray. Drizzle cauliflower with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast cauliflower for 30 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Combine cooked beans, caramelized garlic, and roasted cauliflower. Take 3/4 cup of the mixture aside and purée it with the leftover garlic cooking water. Mix in mustard, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and black pepper. Fold purée into bean mixture. Add minced parsley.
- Arrange bread slices to baking tray and brush them with olive oil. Toast bread slices in 430°F for 5–7 minutes until golden brown. Spread some bean mixture on each bread slice and top with fresh parsley.