If you haven't cooked with lentils before, this is a great place to start! This stew is super easy to make, really hearty, and beautiful on top of the bright orange mash. Top the whole thing off with some coconut yogurt and avocado and enjoy this stew while curled up on the couch on a cold, rainy day!
Lentil, Sweet Potato, and Carrot Mash [Vegan]
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup of brown lentils
- 2 cups of water
- 1 white onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 celery stalk
- Knob of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chili
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1/2 eggplant
- 1/2 cup of water
- Thinly sliced lettuce
- 2 tablespoons of coconut yogurt
- Handful of cilantro
- 1 avocado for the topping
- Peel the sweet potatoes and carrots and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Place the sweet potatoes and carrots into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and then let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, bring out another pot and add the lentils and 2 cups of cold water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are soft and cooked.
- On a chopping board thinly slice the onions, chilli and ginger. Place in a saucepan with a little coconut oil and let the onions soften and brown slightly.
- To the pot, add the garlic, tin of tomatoes, diced eggplant, and celery stalk. Mix everything together and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, drain them and then place them in a bowl with salt and pepper, mustard, and almond milk. Mash and then put aside.
- Once the lentils are cooked, transfer them to the pot with the tomatoes, eggplant, etc. and mix together. Do a taste test and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- To serve, dollop some mash in a bowl, top with the lentil and vegetable stew and then garnish with avocado, coconut yogurt, cilantro, and lettuce.