These sunny and sweet pancakes will brighten your morning. In this recipe, a cup of orange juice adds a pop of citrus to these cornmeal pancakes. A generous drizzle of the kumquat syrup brings sweetness without being overpowering. Enjoy these pancakes for breakfast, brunch, or even dessert.
Citrus Corncakes With Kumquat Syrup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Citrus Corncakes With Kumquat Syrup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups sliced organic kumquats
- Juice of 1 large lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch dissolved in 2 teaspoons of water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Pancakes:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup vegan protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- Coconut oil, for cooking
How to Prepare Citrus Corncakes With Kumquat Syrup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Sauce:
- Combine the kumquats, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a pan over medium heat, and cook until the kumquats have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the arrowroot and cook until thickened, about a minute more. Add the vanilla and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Whisk the flaxseed, flour, cornmeal, protein powder, baking powder, and sea salt together in a large bowl.
- Whisk in all of the remaining wet ingredients until smooth.
To Make the Pancakes:
- To cook pancakes, preheat oven to 200°F. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add a little coconut oil to coat the bottom.
- Once hot, add the batter in 1/4 cup amounts, and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side until it starts to brown, then flip with a spatula and cook it for another 2-3 minutes.
- When fully cooked, place the pancakes on a plate and keep warm in the oven while you repeat the process with the remaining pancakes.
- Serve with the kumquat sauce.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.