These sunny and sweet pancakes will brighten your morning. In this recipe, a cup of orange juice adds a pop of citrus to these cornmeal pancakes. A generous drizzle of the kumquat syrup brings sweetness without being overpowering. Enjoy these pancakes for breakfast, brunch, or even dessert.
Citrus Corncakes With Kumquat Syrup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups sliced organic kumquats
- Juice of 1 large lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch dissolved in 2 teaspoons of water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Pancakes:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup gluten-free baking flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup vegan protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- Coconut oil, for cooking
To Make the Sauce:
- Combine the kumquats, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a pan over medium heat, and cook until the kumquats have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the arrowroot and cook until thickened, about a minute more. Add the vanilla and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Whisk the flaxseed, flour, cornmeal, protein powder, baking powder, and sea salt together in a large bowl.
- Whisk in all of the remaining wet ingredients until smooth.
To Make the Pancakes:
- To cook pancakes, preheat oven to 200°F. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add a little coconut oil to coat the bottom.
- Once hot, add the batter in 1/4 cup amounts, and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side until it starts to brown, then flip with a spatula and cook it for another 2-3 minutes.
- When fully cooked, place the pancakes on a plate and keep warm in the oven while you repeat the process with the remaining pancakes.
- Serve with the kumquat sauce.