This indulgent dessert made its rounds as a popular street food and now, you can make it in your own home. These light and fluffy cronuts are flavored with fresh orange juice and zest, giving them a bright and citrusy flavor. A sprinkling of chopped walnuts and a drizzle of chocolate sauce adds a finishing touch and makes these cronuts as photo-worthy as they are tasty.
Orange Walnut Cronut [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Orange Walnut Cronut [Vegan]
For the Cronuts:
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons pastry flour
- 1/4 cup, plus tablespoons coconut sugar or organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, plus 3 tablespoons water per "egg")
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
How to Prepare Orange Walnut Cronut [Vegan]
- Begin by proofing yeast. Mix warm water, yeast, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in a small bowl. Set aside to foam.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add all dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Attach dough hook attachment and add remaining wet ingredients, including yeast mixture. Mix on low for 3-4 minutes, until combined and a soft dough forms. If you don't have a mixer with a dough hook, you can complete the previous step by hand using a wooden spoon and a large bowl.
- Using a spatula, scrape the dough away from the sides of the bowl. Set aside and cover with a clean towel Let rise for about 90 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering with parchment paper or greasing with non-stick spray. Place on the prepared baking sheet and let rise again for another 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and roll out on a flat floured surface. It should be about 1/2-inch thick. Using a small bowl, ramekin, mason jar, or any other round container, cut out the cronuts. Then, using the back of an icing tip (or any other small round object), press into the center of the cronut to make a hole. Place each cronut on the baking sheet and let rise for another 10-15 minutes. Continue until all the dough has been used.
- Bake the cronuts for 6-8 minutes, or until very slightly browned.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips. Once melted, use a spoon or pastry bag to drizzle the chocolate over the cronuts. Top with chopped walnuts. Store extras in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.