Sure, you could go to the store and buy a bag of dairy-free chocolate chips just like everyone else, or you could make your own, which is infinitely more fun and way better for you! And they're so incredibly easy to make, you'll be wondering why you haven't been making your own chocolate chips for years.
Homemade Chocolate Chips [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, soft but not liquid
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia extract powder, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chill metal baking sheets in the refrigerator. Place coconut oil in a large bowl and fast whisk in one direction by hand. About one minute.
- Whisk together the rest of ingredients until smooth. Chill the batter for 2-4 minutes until it is starting to get thick, but is not yet solid.
- Transfer the chocolate batter into a gallon freezer bag. Push the batter down to the bottom while holding onto the top of the freezer bag. It will form a cone shape like a filled pastry bag. Try not to warm up the bag of chocolate batter with your hands. Wear cloth gloves if necessary and cut a small tip off a bottom corner of the bag.
- Gently squeeze the plastic bag and place a dot onto the chilled baking sheet. Then quickly lift the bag to form the pointy part of the chip. Finish all the chocolate batter. I filled two baking sheets with this amount of batter.
- Chill the formed chocolate chips until they are hard. Transfer them into a container and store in refrigerator.
These chips are softer than the store bought ones. They may not hold their shape during baking. They are great for cake decoration, eating with dairy-free yogurt, et al.