Impress your guests with this coconut crepe cake! Light and fluffy crepes are layered with whipped coconut cream and creamy chocolate avocado mousse that's sweetened with dates. This delicate cake is the perfect dessert to serve at spring parties.
Whole Wheat Crepe Cake With Chocolate Mousse [Vegan]
For the Crepes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, plus 3 tablespoons water per "egg")
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 15-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
For the Chocolate Mousse Filling:
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 2 cups dates, soaked in water for 15 minutes and drained, then pitted
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sea salt
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
To Make the Crepes:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all crepe ingredients and stir with a large spoon, until blended.
- In a medium griddle or saucepan over medium heat, spray with coconut or vegetable oil. Add 1/4-1/2 cup of crepe mix to the pan and spread around pan evenly. Cook for about 2 minutes, flip, and cook for another 2 minutes or so until the crepe is starting to brown on both sides. Set aside. This will make about 12-13 crepes. When finished cooking the crepes, don’t clean the skillet just yet. You can use it to toast the coconut.
To Make the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Put a stainless steel bowl and a wire whisk in the freezer for a few minutes before whipping; the colder, the better.
- In the stainless steel bowl, add the coconut cream, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla. Using a hand blender, blend for a few minutes, or until soft peaks form.
To Make the Chocolate Mousse:
- Add all filling ingredients, plus half of the coconut whipped cream to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth using a mix of high and low speed, and the occasionally pulsing. Occasionally, scrape the mix off the sides and blend again. Get the mixture as smooth as possible.
To Make the Cake:
- Layer each crepe and a layer of chocolate mousse (about 3-4 tablespoons). Continue stacking crepe, mousse, crepe, mousse, etc. The top layer should be the mousse.
- In the same skillet you used for the crepes, heat the pan over medium heat. Spray the pan with coconut oil, and toast coconut in the crepe pan until just starting to brown. It should only take a minute or two if the pan is hot.
- Sprinkle cake with toasted coconut and whipped cream. Cut and serve.