Chocolate stout-filled doughnuts sound like something too good to be true. Light, fluffy, sugar-coated doughnuts are filled with a dark, rich chocolate cream that's flavored with stout. These doughnuts are best enjoyed when served immediately, so they're the perfect thing to bring along to parties or events — don't forget the coffee.
Chocolate Stout-Filled Doughnuts [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Stout-Filled Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons very hot water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- A pinch of raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup very warm water
- 3 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the Filling:
- 1 cup stout
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- A pinch of salt
- Coconut oil, for frying
- Cane sugar, for coating doughnuts
How to Prepare Chocolate Stout-Filled Doughnuts [Vegan]
To Make the Doughnuts:
- In a small bowl combine ground flaxseeds and very hot water. Set aside to thicken.
- Stir together yeast, very warm water, and a pinch of cane sugar in a small bowl until yeast is dissolved. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center and add flax egg, yeast, almond milk, and coconut oil. Stir until dough starts to form into a ball. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 8 minutes, or until it's smooth and elastic.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.
- While dough is rising, make chocolate stout cream.
To Make the Filling:
- In a small saucepan, heat the stout, 1/2 cup almond milk, cane sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate, and salt over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch and the other 1/2 cup almond milk in a small bowl until dissolved. When milk is warm and chocolate is melted, whisk in the cornstarch and bring to a boil. Stir constantly for 2 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate to cool completely.
To Make the Doughnuts:
- After dough has risen, roll it out on a floured surface until it is roughly 1/2-inch thick. Using a floured glass, mason jar top, or 3-inch circle cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can.
- Do not re-roll the scraps (it will make a tough doughnut). Instead, roll them in small balls and make doughnut holes. Cover the donuts with a towel and let rise for another 30-45 minutes.
- In a large heavy pot with tall sides, heat the coconut oil to 350°F. You need about 2 inches of oil. Get a dish ready with some cane sugar, to drop your doughnuts into and another plate, to set your donuts on.
- Carefully drop in 2-3 donuts at a time into the hot oil. Fry one side for 1-2 minutes, then turn them over using a slotted spoon and fry the other side for another minute, until both sides are golden brown. Keep an eye on the oil temp. When doughnuts are fully cooked, drop them into the cane sugar and coat both sides. Place on separate plate and repeat with other donuts. Cool completely before filling.
- Spoon the pre-made cream into a piping bag. Poke a hole in the side of each donut with a skewer. Squeeze desired amount of filling into the hole of each donut.
- Best when served immediately.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2745 | Total Carbs: 489 g | Total Fat: 58 g | Total Protein: 49 g | Total Sodium: 2225 g | Total Sugar: 135 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.